Friday, February 6, 2015

Rayleigh's Helmet

A couple of months ago, we noticed that Rayleigh's head wasn't symmetrical. Her ears were not in the same spot. We took her to Dallas to Cranial Technologies to have her checked out. Sure enough, she needed a helmet (it's called a DocBand). She has what's called plagiocephaly. For Rayleigh, her plagiocephaly appears in the form of her ears being misaligned, one cheek appears fuller, and her head slopes to one direction. I hated that she had to get a helmet, but it's only for a short time and I know she needed it and it'll help her head. She has to wear it 23 hours each day. She has done so well with it; it doesn't seem to bother her at all. In fact, I think it's saved her from bumping her head a few times.

Even with the helmet, she's beautiful. I didn't want to have it painted because she would have to go for quiet some time without wearing it so the paint could dry. There's other ways to decorate helmets but I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on something she might only wear 2-3 months. So I went to Hobby Lobby and found some stickers and decorated it myself. I also rigged a way to attach bows to the front to match her outfits. She's a cutie and the helmet is not a big deal at all. And I'm happy to say, that after a month, we can already tell a positive difference. I took her for an appointment today, and it looks like she'll have to wear the helmet about six more weeks.




No comments:

Post a Comment