Wednesday, July 3, 2013

1st Trip to ER with Brady

Every mother's worst nightmare has to be their child getting hurt. I've said it several times, "I can't believe we haven't already had to take Brady to the ER for something." Well, yesterday it finally happened.

I have been working out with my cousins and we meet at my grandmother's house and run down the farmed market roads. While I'm running and working out my aunt and grandmother watch Brady. Yesterday, my aunt and Brady followed us while we ran, on a four-wheeler. Brady loves to ride anything! He was in hog heaven. After we got back, Chayce, Kara, and I went in the house to do some exercises while Brady stayed outside with my aunt, grandmother, and Gavin. That's when he touched the hot four-wheeler with his right hand. I didn't think anything of it when Marty brought him in but when he kept crying I knew he was really hurt, Brady hardly ever cries over being hurt. So we tried to put ice on him, he wouldn't have anything to do with that. We tried putting his hand in water, he wasn't having that either. We put ointment on him and he'd just rub it off. Finally, I took him home hoping he'd settle down in the car and take a nap, that didn't happen either. So, after about 20 - 30 minutes of straight crying I started to get worried. I called his doctor and left a message. Then I called my cousin's wife, who is a nurse in the ER, and she said to bring him in and she'd take care of him. My doctor's nurse said the same thing, so I headed to the ER. By the time I got there, Steven had already filled out all the paperwork, he met us there from his work, so we basically went straight to a room. Devin, our cousin/nurse, took such good care of Brady. The doctor came in and said it was a second degree burn and that he'd be fine. They also gave him so pain meds, but by the time they actually administered the meds, Brady had fallen asleep. He did really well while Devin dressed his hand and was happy by the time we walked out the door. He came home and took a 2-3 hour nap and woke up being his usual happy self. He plays and uses his hurt hand, he runs around like nothing happened. He's one tough kid!

The hard part now is going to be to keep the dressing on his hand and keep it from getting infected. I sure hope he'll cooperate and it'll heal up soon. It broke my heart to see him in such pain. I know he's going to get hurt lots of more times in his life, but there's nothing worse than watching your baby be in pain and not being able to help.
He really blistered up good.

He tries to bite the blisters.

All bandaged up.

No comments:

Post a Comment