Monday, January 20, 2014

Quints Pregnancy- 21 Weeks

I'm now 21 weeks pregnant with the quints. I went to my Dallas doctor this past Friday and all the babies look good. They are growing right on track and were very active. They all weigh about 1 pound so all together, I'm carrying about 5 pounds of baby right now. We saw the fetal cardiologist after my appointment with my doc. She looked at all their hearts and said that all 5 babies have the major heart components that they need. Baby C (our for sure boy) might have a small hole at the bottom of his heart. The cardiologist said that it's the most common heart defect and in many cases, it fixes itself before the baby is ever born. However, these babies will be born very early so I worry about if it will have time to correct on its own. There's a big possibility that some of the babies will have to see the cardiologist after birth. I just hope and pray so hard that I can carry them as long as possible.

My cervix had shortened from 4cm to 2cm over the week. My doctor wasn't comfortable with that so I was put into the hospital to be monitored. Saturday morning I had a procedure called a cervical cerclage done to put stitches in my cervix to keep them from getting any shorter. It was so unexpected and overwhelming. We were completely unprepared. We took nothing, I mean absolutely nothing, with us. We were in the hospital with no soap, shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, extra change of clothes, cell phone chargers, nothing! We were dirty, tired, and our cell phones died around 8pm Friday night so we really couldn't communicate with anyone. It was crazy. Thankfully, my mom and Melford came to the hospital Saturday and brought us a bag and kept us company. It's always nice to have your mom with you when you're going through anything.

I was so scared about the procedure. I was worried about the risk that they could possibly pierce one of the baby's sacks. If that would have would have been game over. The baby would die if the sack was punctured. They wheeled me back to the OR and I had an epidural put in. My epidural with Brady wasn't awful but it wasn't great either... it originally only worked on one side of my body. But my epidural Saturday was great. No problems at all. So after I was numb they laid me down. It was so bizarre to be awake during a surgery. It was also humiliating to be laying on the table, naked, and exposed to everyone in the room. Thankfully it was all women. When I lay on my back, it becomes very difficult for me to breathe. My blood pressure dropped very low and I felt horrible. I broke out into a cold sweat and my arms went numb. After the procedure was over the nurse anesthetist told me she got very worried. I don't know if they gave me some medicine or what but I got better and they proceeded with the procedure. I got so scared. All I could think about was Baby A dying because they punctured her sack. The tears started flowing. I tried to be strong but that was one of the scariest moments of my life. I was so blessed to have the sweetest nurses and medical staff with me the whole time I was in the hospital. When the nurse saw my tears she came to my side and wiped my tears, held my hand, and talked to me the whole time. She really calmed me down and I got through it. Thankfully, the procedure went well. My blood pressure was very low for most of the day after that so I was watched very closely. I wasn't allowed out of the bed for 24 hours. After several IV bags my blood pressure came up. On Sunday they decided to release me. I was so happy to be home last night. I missed Brady so much. I haven't slept so good in a while. It was so nice to be home in my own bed. I probably only have 2-3 weeks, at the most, left at home, then I'll be in Dallas until the babies get to come home.
My pregnancy facts:
*I now weigh 131 lbs.
*I crave Dairy Queen M&M blizzards and Do-si-dos Girl Scout cookies.
*We can not agree on the third little girls name. If baby D turns out to be a girl I don't know what we'll do. It's so hard to come up with 5 names!!!
*My goal, since the beginning, has been to stay pregnant until 30 weeks. I'm so hoping I can make it until then. I'm hoping the babies will have April birthdays.
*The babies will be born in Dallas at Baylor Hospital.
21 wks

No comments:

Post a Comment